First Prize Winner $750
Thirteen-year-old Jake tackles everyday recipes with the imagination of an inventor. In fact, his creations are so unique (and delicious) that a local bakery featured his German chocolate cupcakes with Heath bar bits and caramel whipped cream frosting in their shop. His dad not only sparked Jake’s interest in baking, but Dad’s love for Biscoff cookies (a caramel-flavored cookie) inspired Jake to experiment with the flavor as a base for his winning Rockin’ Shortbread Cupcakes. With such culinary innovation, it’s no surprise that Jake wants to someday start his own restaurant.
The food he could eat every day: Homemade crepes—especially with Nutella, bananas, and strawberries!
His silliest cooking memory: I forgot about a pot full of apples and brown sugar that I had left on the stove, and when I came back it was not only burnt, but sparks were flying out of it!
His advice for wannabe chefs: Start with an easy recipe, and then keep experimenting.
Bob’s Rockin’ Shortbread Cupcakes
Active Time: 30 minutes
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup Earth Balance almond butter
½ cup Xylo Sweet sugar
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon Nielson Massey Pure Vanilla Extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup Butterscotch
½ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup Biscoff spread
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon Nielson Massey Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and continue beating.
- Gradually beat in the flour. Add the oil, baking powder and evaporated milk.
- Fill cupcake tins with a tablespoon of batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then let cool for 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking and cooling, whip heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add in vanilla, powdered sugar, and Biscoff spread.
- When the cupcakes are cooled, push a pastry bag tip in half way through the cupcake and fill with butterscotch.
- Then pipe on frosting in a circular pattern.
Makes 6 large cupcakes
Per serving: calories 612, fat 33g, protein 9g, carbohydrates 72g, dietary fiber 1g