Moms-to-be know that pregnancy can bring about changes in the body that require some extra pampering. Whether it’s stretchmarks, insomnia, nausea, or problem skin, many pregnant women deal with these unpleasant side effects at some point during their pregnancy. The good news is, there’s one soothing solution to calm each issue—and it could be sitting in your pantry right now.
Coconut oil offers six relieving benefits for pregnancy and new motherhood.
- Protect against stretch marks With its moisturizing properties, coconut oil may just keep you from getting those pesky stretch marks. If you want to prevent and fade existing stretch marks, Dr. Lawrence D. Rosen, M.D. recommends the Poofy Organics’ Stretch Mark & Scar Bar, which features coconut oil amongst other oils. (http://www.kiwimagonline.com/ask-doctor-natural-ways-fade-scar)
- Relieve morning sickness, heartburn, and constipation The lauric acid in coconut oil can fight bad bacteria and candida in the body, keeping viruses at bay and improving gut health and digestion. Consult your doctor before using.
- Quench dryness Coconut oil is a universal moisturizer that can be used on your hair, scalp, and skin. Apply to your roots and generously lather any dry areas from head to toe.
- Fight pregnancy breakouts It’s antibacterial and antifungal attributes come into play again when it comes to stubborn hormone-induced acne. Cleanse with coconut oil. Try our DIY ritual here: http://www.kiwimagonline.com/at-home-beauty-helpers.
- Hide tired eyes Growing a person can make it hard to sleep, especially with the constant trips to the bathroom and expanding belly. Soothe your puffy under eyes with the moisturizing oil.
- Ease nursing tenderness Once baby arrives, breastfeeding may leave you with tender nipples. Use coconut oil to soothe and nourish.
Our top picks for organic, high-quality coconut oil:
Dr. Bronner’s Whole Kernel Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 14 oz. ($20.99, Amazon)
Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 15 oz. ($8.45, Amazon)
Carrington Farms Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Paks, 4 oz. packs ($13.10, Amazon)
These packs are great for on-the-go nutrition. You can pop them in your smoothie or morning coffee.