Silken tofu and non-hydrogenated, dairy-free shortening stand in for the usual eggs and butter in these allergy-friendly brownies. But don't worry--they're just as decadent and delicious as their traditionally-made counterparts!
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- Dairy-free cooking spray
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated dairy-free shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup silken tofu (approximately half of a 12-ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray an 8-inch-square baking dish with dairy- free baking or cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine shortening, sugar, tofu, and vanilla thoroughly. In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk. Add to the shortening mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan and bake 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely and dust with confectioners’ sugar before cutting into squares.
Per brownie: calories 191, fat 11 g, protein 3 g, carbohydrates 25 g, dietary fiber, 2 g