This healthier take on two kid favorites pairs whole wheat dough and arugula with just the right amount of cheese and bacon. If your family isn’t a fan of arugula, you can swap it with spinach or mesclun instead—just be sure to top it only on the slices you’re eating right away, so you can reheat the leftovers.
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1½ pounds whole wheat pizza dough (thawed, if frozen)
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1½ cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
5 slices uncured hickory-smoked bacon, uncooked, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2½ cups packed baby arugula
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Spritz a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Dust a clean surface with flour. Roll out the dough into a 10-by-13-inch shape on the lightly floured surface.
- Transfer the dough to the baking sheet by rolling it onto the rolling pin and then unrolling it onto the sheet. Brush or rub the dough with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Top with the tomatoes, cheese, bacon, and garlic.
- Bake until the crust is crisp and brown, cheese is melted, and bacon is just crisp, about 17 minutes.
- Slide the pizza onto a cutting board. Sprinkle with pepper and slice into 8 pieces.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium bowl. Add the arugula and toss to coat. Arrange the salad on the pizza. Serve.
Per serving: calories 320, fat 15 g, protein 16 g, carbohydrates 27 g, dietary fiber 3 g