This is hard to digest: A typical chicken potpie made with a shortening-laden crust can have a staggering 10 grams of trans fat and 20 grams of saturated fat—both major culprits in heart disease. To slash the unhealthy fats, we created a crustless potpie, using egg-roll wrappers to hold the savory filling. Our new twist on this pie is a bundle of fun to eat. In fact, we suggest that you let your kids eat the bundles with their hands and use a spoon to pick up any bits of chicken and veggies that escape.
Active time: 40 minutes
- 2 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup all natural chicken broth
- 4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 12 egg-roll wrappers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until they soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add second tablespoon of olive oil and garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
- Add chicken, tarragon, salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk chicken broth and cornstarch until well combined. Add to skillet, along with peas and corn, and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Continue to simmer and stir gently until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- To prepare the bundles, use a nonstick muffin pan with 12 medium-size cups. Gently place 1 egg-roll wrapper into each cup, letting it extend over the sides.
- Place a generous 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture into each wrapper.
- Sprinkle Parmesan evenly on top.
- Bring the corners up and over the top of the filling, pressing and folding to seal the edges together (it doesn’t have to be perfect!).
- Brush the remaining oil on top of each bundle. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving (2 bundles): calories 380, fat 9g, protein 24g, carbohydrate 48g, fiber 4g, sodium 650mg