Who says Valentine's Day desserts have to be decadent? This delicious treat is made with wholesome, good-for-you ingredients.
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 cup extra-light olive oil
2 cups turbinado sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
2 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces dark chocolate (at least 50 percent cacao) or semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa into a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Use an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to cream the olive oil and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for about a minute between each addition. Mix in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
4. Add the zucchini and chocolate and mix well. Add the dry ingredients in three batches.
5. Line muffin cups with paper, then scoop a quarter cup of batter into each. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan.
6. While the cupcakes cool, make the ganache. Cook the cream, chocolate, and vanilla in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
7. Dip the top of each cooled cupcake in the ganache; allow 15 minutes to set.
Per cupcake: calories 321, fat 15 g, protein 4 g, carbohydrates 44 g, dietary fiber 3 g