You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make these moist, tender cookies at home. To help prevent the batter from sticking to the spoon or ice cream scoop, spray it with vegetable cooking spray. And for a gluten-free vegan delight, replace the all-purpose flour with coconut flour.
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (from a can, the kind used in Asian cuisine)
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread
- 2 teaspoons egg replacer plus 1 tablespoon water mixed together
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir together coconut, sugar, flour, tapioca starch and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat coconut milk and Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to melt the Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread. Remove from heat and stir in egg replacer and vanilla extract.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and mix well. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet, or use a small ice cream scoop.
- Place macaroons in freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool 20 minutes before removing from pan.
PER SERVING (1 cookie): 88 CAL; 1g PROTEIN; 7g TOTAL FAT (5g SAT FAT); 6g CARB; 0mg CHOL; 87mg SODIUM; 1g FIBER; 3g SUGARS