Filed under: Appetizers and sides
Active time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- Juice of one lime
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn (equivalent of 3 ears of corn)
- 1/4 cup diced green chiles, freshly roasted or canned
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Grapeseed oil or canola oil for cooking
Chipotle crème fraîche
- 1 8-ounce container crème fraîche
- 3 tablespoons cream or milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoon pureed chipotle peppers
- Zest of one orange
- Sift together flour, red chile powder, salt, cumin, and baking powder.
- Create a “well” in the center of the dry ingredients, then add egg, milk and lime juice. Mix well.
- Fold in corn, green chiles, and cilantro. Stir until just combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough grapeseed oil or canola oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of batter onto the pan for each fritter.
- Cook about 3 minutes per side until golden brown and crisp.
- Repeat until all the batter is gone, adding more oil as needed.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with Chipotle Crème Fraîche.
chipotle crème fraîche
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Add more chipotle puree to taste.
- Chill until needed.
Per serving: calories 180, fat 11 g, protein 5 g, carbohydrates 19 g, dietary fiber 1 g