It’s just not autumn without pumpkin, right? These whole wheat muffins pack plenty of the orange squash inside and get a second dose with a sprinkle of green pumpkin seeds on top; orange juice and orange zest add an extra layer of bright flavor. Try toasting the muffins and spreading them with cream cheese for a quick, wholesome breakfast you can hand to your child as she heads out the door.
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup safflower oil, plus more for greasing the muffin tin
- 2/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed whisked with ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin with safflower oil.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. Whisk well to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix the oil and sugar until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Add the flaxseed mixture and mix 1 minute more. Add the pumpkin, orange juice, vanilla, and orange and mix for one more minute.
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Repeat twice more with the remaining flour until the batter just comes together.
- Use a standard ice cream scoop or 1/3-cup measure to scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Top each muffin with a few pumpkin seeds and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving; leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Per muffin: calories 193, fat 7 g, protein 3 g, carbohydrates 30 g, dietary fiber 4 g
Reprinted from KIWI Magazine