Jazz up traditional waffles with some fruity multigrain flare using this fun recipe from healthy eating organization Produce for Kids
Total time: 25 minutes
1 cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup ground flaxseed
1½ teaspoon baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1½ cups 1% milk
½ cup cooked oats
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. honey, for batter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pineapple and banana, per serving
2 Tbsp. pistachios, per serving
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk, oats, eggs, honey, oil, and vanilla into the oat mixture; mix until moistened.
- Preheat waffle iron, and lightly coat with oil or cooking spray.
- Put enough batter to cover ¾ of the waffle iron surface (about ⅔ cup for an 8x8-inch waffle iron.)
- Close waffle iron. Cook 5 – 7 minutes or until waffles are golden and crisp.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Top with chopped fruit and pistachios.
Per serving: calories 479; Fat 19g; Protein 22g; Carbohydrate 61g; Fiber 8g