Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Egg Free, Soy Free
This "free from" recipe and excerpt comes from Jennifer Robins' The Paleo Kids Cookbook.
"Some kiddos love buttered peas without any fuss or presentation. My kids have even been known to eat them frozen as a snack (odd but true). But some littles just need the extra encouragement when it comes to greens. These fritters are crispy and feel like the perfect finger food when, in fact, they are the perfect green accompaniment to dinner!"
- 2 tablespoons + ¼ cup ghee, avocado oil or olive oil, divided
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- ½ cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Ranch Dressing, optional
- Preheat the 2 tablespoons of cooking fat in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients (minus the dressing) in a mixing bowl and stir or mix by hand until they are all incorporated evenly. Using your hands, take a small handful and form a patty or disc shaped fritter. Once formed, place your fritter into the hot oil and fry it until crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the fritter and place it on a towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Repeat with remaining dough until it is all used. Serve warm. These are also great dipped in the Ranch Dressing.
FOR LITTLE HANDS: Allow your child to mix all of the ingredients in the mixing bowl and to help shape the fritters. If your child is older, this recipe may be followed start to finish under supervision.
Recipes from The Paleo Kids Cookbook, written by Jennifer Robins and with photography by Jennifer Robins and Jeremy Meek, have been reprinted with the permission of Page Street Publishing Co.