Who says gluten-free baking has to be difficult? Not us! Doctoring up a box of gluten-free cake mix, like one from Hodgson Mill, is an easy, delicious way to whip up a batch of mini cupcakes that everyone can enjoy. Looking for more yummy, gluten-free recipes? Check out KIWI's allergy-friendly cooking site!
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, plus more for greasing the muffin tin
- 1 box (15 ounces) Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pureed carrots baby food (2 4-ounce jars)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts (optional, for either inside cake or as decoration)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease cupcake pans, or line with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, beat butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add cake mix, buttermilk, pureed carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and eggs and mix on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. With a spoon, stir in nuts (if using). Spoon into liners (or if making cake, spread in pan.) Smooth out the top of the cupcakes with a spatula or spoon dipped in cold water, because any divots or swirls in the batter will remain on the finished product.
- Bake mini cupcakes for 18-22 minutes.Insert a toothpick into center of a cake and make sure it comes out clean before removing cupcakes from oven. Cool completely, approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour, then frost.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and 1 teaspoon milk until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time. Stir in coconut if desired, or sprinkle on iced cupcakes while icing is wet for decoration.
Per cupcake: calories 187, fat 8 g,protein 3 g, carbohydrates 27 g, fiber 1 g