- 16 ounces penne noodles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 4 plum or Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Cook the penne according to the package directions until it is al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sauté for about 3 minutes, until they start to soften. Add the garlic and sauté for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook them until they soften but don't completely lose their shape, about 5 minutes, stirring often. If they're sticking to the pan, add 1-2 tablespoons of water or broth, and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Drain the penne and add it to the skillet with the tomatoes. Season with the salt and top it at the table with cheese, if desired.
Per serving: calories 319, fat 10 g, protein, 9 g, carbohydrates 49 g, dietary fiber 3 g