Beans are one of nature's most antioxidant-rich foods. Like chickpeas, peanuts, and lentils, black beans are classified as a legume. They are also considered a vegetable because of their fiber, folate, and potassium content—great news for kids who shun green veggies. Half a cup of cooked beans counts as one serving of vegetables.
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoon lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a food-processor bowl, add beans, salsa, sour cream, lime juice, honey, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips or sliced vegetables.
Per 1/4-cup serving: calories 60, fat 0.5g (0g saturated), protein, 3g, carbohydrates 13g, dietary fiber 3g