Naturally sweet sweet potatoes are the perfect complement to the slight hint of heat from the spices in this easy recipe. It’s particularly good served over brown rice and topped with shredded, reduced fat cheese, but you can also serve it with corn bread and a salad. However you dish it up, your family will enjoy more than a day’s worth of immune-boosting vitamin A per serving.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4 -inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1 16-ounce jar mango salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili chipotle powder
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Add chicken, sweet potato, onion, salsa, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and chili chipotle powder to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low until sweet potato is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 4 hours.
- Stir the pinto beans into the slow cooker and cover until the beans heat through, about 5 minutes. Serve over brown rice and top with shredded reduced-fat cheese.
Per serving: calories 228, fat 5 g, protein 30 g, carbohydrates 21 g, dietary fiber 7 g