Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1 cup cooked shredded turkey
- 1 cup whole grain tortilla chips, crushed into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Diced avocado (optional)
- Chopped cilantro (for garnish, optional)
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add sliced onions and salt to pot, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are limp and translucent. Add minced garlic; cook for 1 minute, then add chili powder and cumin, and cook until fragrant, about 1 more minute.
- Add chicken broth and canned tomatoes to pot, and raise heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes, then stir in corn and cooked turkey, and cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.
- Serve soup in large bowls with tortilla chips and shredded cheese on top; optional avocado and chopped cilantro can be served on the side.
Per serving: calories 370, fat 20 g, protein 26 g, carbohydrates 25 g, dietary fiber 3 g