Filed under: Dessert
To keep your family healthy as well as happy this winter, try this stick-to-your ribs—but not to your waistline—apple dessert. Serve it right out of the slow cooker while it’s still warm and top with a small dollop of light whipped cream or a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanille extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices cinnamon swirl bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup lightly toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Lightly oil or coat bottom and sides of a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and set aside
- Combine eggs and brown sugar in a large bowl and whisk until blended. Whisk in milk, flaxseed, butter, vanilla, and nutmeg. Stir in bread cubes and mix well. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes until some of the liquid has been absorbed by the bread. Mix in apples, walnuts, and raisins.
- Place bread mixture in bowl of slow cooker. Cover and cook on low, about 2 1/2 hours, or until apples are tender and a knife inserted into the center of the pudding comes out clean.
Per serving: calories 279, fat 12 g, protein 8 g, carbohydrates 38 g, dietary fiber 4 g