Who would have thought combining a banana split with a grilled sandwich would lead to such a yummy, nutritious hybrid? Kids will have fun stacking banana slices, strawberries and chocolate chips, then smashing the bread down with their hands to ensure that the peanut butter seals the sandwich shut. This dish was created by Inspired RD, for Kids Cook Monday, an organization that promotes healthy eating by encouraging families to prep meals together every Monday night.
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 4 strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips*
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Parent & Child Spread the peanut butter on 2 of the slices of bread.
- Child: Place the banana and strawberry slices on the 2 plain slices of bread. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the fruit, if using. Close the sandwich with the peanut butter covered bread, taking care to press each sandwich closed firmly with your hands.
- Parent: Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and grill for 1 minute on each side, or until the bread is golden brown. Cut each sandwich in triangles and enjoy!
Calories 412, Fat 16 g, Carbohydrates 39 g, Fiber 9 g, Sugar 27 g, Protein 12 g