Prep time: 22 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder, or finely ground instant coffee (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- Line the bottom of a 6½-by-8½-inch or similar size toaster oven pan with unbleached parchment paper. Toaster ovens waste less energy than conventional ovens, but you can make this recipe in either. (For a regular oven, use an 8-by-8-inch pan.)
- Stir together the sugar, oil, applesauce, and salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2½ minutes, or until the mixture rapidly bubbles, stirring once midway through. (Mixture will be very hot!) Stir in the chocolate, cocoa, espresso powder (if using), and cayenne until the chocolate is melted.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl. Vigorously whisk the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture. Stir in the flour until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan in the toaster oven, turn heat to 400°, and bake until the brownies are springy to the touch,about 18 minutes. (If baking in a conventional oven, check for springiness sooner.) Cool the brownies completely in the pan on a rack.
Per serving (1 brownie): calories 120, fat 6 g, protein 2 g, carbohydrates 20 g, dietary fiber 2 g