For the salad
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped (6 cups total)
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast (or use additional black beans)
- 1/3 red onion or red bell pepper, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 avacado, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned (thawed, if frozen, drained and rinsed if canned)
- 1/2 cup diced or shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
For the dressing
- 1/2 avacado
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- Put the lettuce in a large serving bowl, and top with the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Mash the 1/2 avacado and whisk it in a medium bowl with the remaining dressing ingredients.
- Toss the salad with about 1/2 the dressing, then add more to taste.
Per serving: calories 420, fat 19 g, protein 27 g, carbohydrates 34 g, dietary fiber 11 g