Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
1 cup sprouted chickpeas
6 fresh basil leaves
1 large egg
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
¼ cup yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon salt
Dash of ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 whole grain buns
Mayonnaise, ketchup, lettuce, or other toppings, optional
- Parent: Fill a pot with an inch of water and place a steamer basket in it. Steam the chickpeas for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Parent & child: While the chickpeas are steaming, carefully pull the basil leaves off the stems. Hand the leaves to your parent and throw away the rest.
- Parent: Roughly chop the basil leaves and set aside. Place cooled chickpeas and egg into a food processor and pulse until well-combined, allowing for small pieces of the chickpeas to remain. Use a spatula to scrape the mixture into a large bowl.
- Parent & child: Add the basil, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, and parsley to the chickpea mixture. Then add breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Stir all ingredients until well-combined.
- Child: Using your hands, take a palm-size handful of the mixture and work into a flat, circular patty. Place it on a plate and repeat to form three more. Don’t forget to wash your hands after you finish making all the patties!
- Parent: Pour olive oil into a large skillet and place over medium heat. Add the patties, cooking about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Carefully remove the patties from the skillet and place on the bottom half of a whole-grain bun.
- Parent & child: Add ketchup, lettuce, tomato, and any other accompaniments your family loves. Finish by topping the burger with the other half of the bun.
Per serving: calories 276, fat 7 g, protein 10 g, carbohydrates 43 g, dietary fiber 6 g