Filed under: Dinner
Cook this dish soon after shopping. The fresh ingredients are perishable, but the resulting textures and flavors are well worth it. This meal also freezes remarkably well.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground grass-fed beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 3/4 lb. fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 cups roughly chopped fresh spinach, densely packed
- 1/2 lb. fresh, uncooked pasta sheets (cut in three 7" squares)
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- In medium skillet, sauté onions in olive oil over moderate heat until translucent.
- Add beef, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook over low heat until brown. Add chopped tomatoes and herbs. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, 1/8 cup Parmesan and spinach. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 8" square baking dish with olive oil. Place one pasta sheet on bottom of baking dish. Layer one-half of ricotta mixture over pasta, layer with one-third of mozzarella slices, then pour one-third of meat sauce and spread evenly. Place another pasta sheet over sauce and repeat steps with ricotta, mozzarella and sauce.
- Place third sheet of pasta on top. Cover with meat sauce and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven at 375°F for about 45 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Remove foil and continue baking for a couple of minutes until cheese is slightly brown on top.
Per serving: calories 327, fat 23g, protein 29g, carbohydrate 30g, dietary fiber 1g