You can find pecans at the supermarket year-round, but the nuts are actually harvested from October through December. Kids and grown-ups alike will love the sweet and salty flavors and rich texture of these roasted pecans as an afternoon snack, over salads, or added to granola or trail mix.
Active time: 5 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 5 cups pecan halves
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and set out a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, add the sugars, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix with a fork to combine.
- In a large bowl, add the pecans. Pour the oil over top and toss to coat all of the pecans evenly. Add the sugar mixture and toss well again.
- Spread the pecans on the baking sheet so they don’t overlap. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until toasted. Serve hot, or allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Per serving: calories 237, fat 22 g, protein 3 g, carbohydrates 12 g, dietary fiber 3 g
Reprinted from KIWI Magazine