Serve this flavor-packed stir-fry over quick-cooking quinoa for a lightning fast weeknight meal.
Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (10 to 12 cloves)
- 1 large red onion, quartered and cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips, about 1-inch long
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and pepper, and saute for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and stir-fry until it starts to brown on all sides, but is not cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce and sugar, and add them to the pan. Continue to cook the chicken, uncovered, tossing it occasionally, until it’s cooked through, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add the basil, toss well, and serve.
Per serving: calories 213, fat 6 g, protein 29 g, carbohydrates 10 g, dietary fiber 1 g