Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 to 30 minutes
- 1 pound 80% lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup peas (frozen are fine)
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 large or 4 small russet of Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 2/3 cup 2% milk or 2/3 cup nondairy milk of your choice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, cook turkey over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned. Transfer browned turkey to a plate and set aside. Drain off any fat remaining in the skillet.
- Add olive oil to the skillet, then sauté the onions until golden. Add the carrots, celery, and bay leaf and sauté until soft. Raise heat to high, add tomato paste, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Return turkey to the skillet and mix with vegetables. Add thyme, then chicken stock, and then bring to a boil for 2 to 4 minutes. Lower heat to a simmer, then add the pease and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf, transfer mixture to a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add potatoes and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- White the potatoes cook, warm milk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth, then stir in the milk mixture.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the turkey and vegetable mixture. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake until heated through, 20 to 30 minutes.
Per serving: calories 412, fat 17 g, protein 22 g, carbohydrates 47 g, dietary fiber 7 g