Meet the tastiest, most nutritious burger around: Cremini mushrooms offer meaty texture and flavor, while a combo of white beans, quinoa, and pecans pile on the protein. Serve hot out of the oven, or bake the patties ahead of time and reheat on the grill.
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1½ cups rolled oats, divided
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 rib celery, cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Sliced avocado, sliced cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- In a food processor, add 1 cup of the oats and process into a coarse flour. Place in a small bowl with the remaining ½ cup oats and set aside.
- In a food processor, process the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until finely chopped. Place in a large saute pan with the olive oil over medium heat and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Process the mushrooms until finely chopped. Add to the saute pan with the thyme and tomato paste and cook 5 minutes more. Process the white beans and soy sauce and add to the vegetable mixture. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more and taste for seasoning.
- Transfer the vegetable and bean mixture to a large bowl. Add the quinoa, pecans, and oats and stir until well-combined. Taste for seasoning.
- Use a ½-cup measure to scoop the veggie burgers into individual patties on the baking sheets. Flatten the patties to about ¼-inch thickness and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and somewhat firm.
- Allow the patties to cool for 5 minutes before serving on whole wheat buns with sliced avocado, cheddar cheese, lettuce, and tomato, if desired. Alternately, you can prepare the patties ahead of time and, once completely cooled, grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side before serving.
Per burger (one patty with one whole wheat bun): calories 325, fat 10 g, protein 12 g, carbohydrates 56 g, dietary fiber 10 g
Reprinted from KIWI Magazine