When temperatures plunge, warm up with this hearty casserole, which works equally well as a weeknight dinner or a holiday main dish. Kids will love the bright, sunny color of the yellow split peas, but green split peas work equally well.
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing the pie plate
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, diced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cooked yellow split peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup 1 percent milk
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate with olive oil. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the diced potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork-tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, add the olive oil and the onion to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes, until the carrots begin to soften and the mushrooms have cooked down. Add the split peas, garlic, and thyme and cook 2 minutes more, then add the vegetable broth. Allow the mixture to simmer while you make the mashed potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes and place them back in the pot. Add the butter and use a fork or potato masher to mash the potatoes. Slowly pour in the milk while you continue to mash, using a little bit more or less to reach the consistency you like. Add the salt and pepper, taste, and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to the pie plate (there should be some broth still left in the skillet; pour that on top). Smooth with a spatula, then spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes are just beginning to brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: calories 312, fat 9 g, protein 9 g, carbohydrates 50 g, dietary fiber 9 g
Reprinted from KIWI Magazine