Roasted cauliflower has a mild, slightly sweet flavor that’s often more appealing to little eaters than the raw stuff. And when seasoned with a curry-based dressing, the white winter veggie is anything but boring. This recipe only calls for a tablespoon of curry powder, which will help introduce kids to the flavor without overwhelming them. If you regularly cook with the spice mixture, feel free to add up to 2 tablespoons.
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or more, if desired)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (canned are fine)
- ⅓ cup cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- On a baking sheet, toss the cauliflower and onion with the safflower oil and a big pinch of salt. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, tossing once or twice, until the edges of the cauliflower are golden brown.
- In a small skillet, warm the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, curry powder, sugar, turmeric, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is fragrant and the garlic begins to brown, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the roasted cauliflower and onion in a large bowl and add the chickpeas and cashews. Drizzle the spiced coconut oil over top and toss until well mixed. Taste for seasoning and serve warm.
Per serving: calories 326, fat 22 g, protein 8 g, carbohydrates 30 g, dietary fiber 7 g
Reprinted from KIWI Magazine