Makes 12 servings
½ pound carrots
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 medium navel orange 1 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
Unlike recipes that try to hide veggies, this one proudly boasts its goodness. And why not? Sweet carrots add flavor and moisture to the cupcakes, and orange juice in the icing makes for a healthier—and more summery—choice than heavy cream cheese frosting. The oil in these cupcakes makes them nice and moist but can also spread into the cupcake liners, so be sure to use greaseproof or foil liners.
1. PARENT: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. CHILD: Place liners in muffin tin.
3. PARENT & CHILD : use a grater to grate the carrots, taking extra care not to scrape your fingers! Set aside.
4. PARENT & CHILD : Measure the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda, and put them all in a large bowl. Grab the salt with your fingers to add just a pinch, then stir until thoroughly blended.
5. CHILD: Add the grated carrots to the bowl and mix to combine.
6. PARENT & CHILD: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, combine the eggs and sugars, and mix until well combined. Add the oil, and mix until smooth. Add the flour mixture, and mix until combined.
7. CHILD: Use an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake liners with batter, until they are about two-thirds full.
8. PARENT: Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
9. PARENT: While the cupcakes are baking, cut the orange in half.
10. CHILD: Use your (clean!) hands to pick out any seeds from the orange. Then hold one half of it over a medium bowl, cut side down, and squeeze as hard as you can until you get all the juice out. Do it again with the other orange half.
11. PARENT & CHILD: Measure the confectioners’ sugar, and add it to the bowl. Stir slowly with the whisk (or else the sugar will fly all over). When the glaze is smooth and shiny and there are no lumps, follow the Cooking Class instructions to glaze the cupcakes.