Makes 12 servings
1⁄2 cup quinoa
1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
4 1⁄4 cups old-fashioned oats
1⁄4 cup Bob’s Red Mill hemp seed
1⁄4 cup flaxseed, ground (optional)
1⁄4 cup chia seeds, ground (optional)
1⁄2 cup water
1⁄2 cup honey
1 1⁄2 cups natural peanut butter (or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option)
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1⁄2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 cup dark chocolate chips
Granola bars are a great way to fuel kids up for school, sports, and more! But check the label on many store-bought bars and you’ll find loads of added sugars and preservatives. That’s why we love homemade versions, which allow you to control exactly what goes into the snack. This recipe pumps up the nutrition with superfood ingredients, mixes in coconut and chocolate chips for flavor, and is so easy even very young children can help you make it.
This recipe also loads a ton of nutrition into each bite. Here’s what makes three of its ingredients so beneficial:
Quinoa offers a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine amino acids that are essential to the human body. It’s also a rich source of vitamin E and calcium.
Flaxseed is high in brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids and may also help lower the risk of some hormone-related cancers.
Chia seeds have more antioxidants per serving than any other whole food, including blueberries. They’re also high in omega-3s, fiber, and protein.
1. PARENT: Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. PARENT & CHILD: To rinse quinoa, pour the grains into a 2-cup glass measuring cup and fill with water. If you stir it around you’ll notice the water becomes cloudy. Pour through a fine wire strainer and drain. Repeat until the water is no longer cloudy.
3. CHILD: Spread the quinoa on a baking sheet.
4. PARENT: Toast the quinoa in the oven for 10-15 minutes, removing when it starts to turn golden brown.
5. CHILD: Pour the quinoa, almonds (if using), sesame seeds, oats, hemp, flaxseed, and chia seeds into a medium bowl. Stir until completely blended.
6. CHILD: Add water, honey, peanut butter, and coconut oil to oat mixture. Fold in shredded coconut and chocolate chips. Mix with a spoon until blended.
7. PARENT & CHILD: Using a spatula, firmly press the mixture into a 9-by- 13-inch pan until level. Allow it to sit in the refrigerator until firm. Parent: Cut into bite-size squares and enjoy! Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.