Makes 2.5 servings
1 8-ounce orange-fleshed sweet potato, scrubbed
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 Tablespoons tahini
3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tablespoon water
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more for garnish
3/8 teaspoon ground cumin
Fine sea salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Pierce the potato with a knife and set it on the baking sheet. Add the garlic cloves. Roast for 15 minutes, then remove the garlic and set aside.
3. Continue to roast the sweet potato until a skewer inserted into the thickest part meets no resistance, about 1 hour. Let cool completely.
4. Peel the garlic cloves and the sweet potato. Cut the sweet potato into chunks.
5. In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, sweet potato, roasted garlic, tahini, lemon juice, water, smoked paprika, cumin, and 1 teaspoon salt. Pulse about 10 times, until the chickpeas are coarsely chopped.
6. Scrape down the bowl and process to a thick puree, about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl again. With the machine running, stream in the olive oil and process until the mixture is as smooth as it can be, about 1 minute, scraping down the bowl once or twice. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt, if needed.
7. Transfer hummus to a bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
8. Drizzle dip with olive oil, sprinkle with smoked paprika, and serve.