- 2 teaspoons borax
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 4 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon oil (works as an antibacterial)
- 2 drops pine oil (helps deodorize and disinfect)
- 2 drops liquid dish soap (free of phosphates and sodium lauryl sulfate)
- 1∕3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon natural powdered dishwasher detergent
- 2-3 drops verbena essential oil (a disinfectant)
Add ingredients to a 32-ounce spray bottle. Shake until the detergent has dissolved, and then fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water, leaving enough room to shake and mix before each use.
Wood Floor Cleaner
- 1⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 gallon warm water (16 cups)
Combine vinegar and water, and mix well. Lightly dampen a mop, apply to the floor, and then thoroughly dry with a clean cloth.
Easy Shower Scrub
- 1⁄2 cup baking soda
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 5-10 drops sweet orange, lavender, or lemon essential oil
Mix vinegar and water in a bucket or spray bottle. Add essential oil to work as a natural disinfectant (and give a pleasing scent). Use a cloth to wipe down the shower with the vinegar and water solution. Sprinkle the baking soda on spots that need some extra scouring power and use a cloth to apply the scrub. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes, and then use a scrub pad dampened with water. Rinse thoroughly.
TIP: Don’t mix vinegar and baking soda beforehand. They create a nice foaming action when mixed together, and you want that to happen on what you are cleaning, not in the water bottle before you clean.
All-purpose cleaner and glass cleaner courtesy of Mary Findley, co-author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Green Cleaning; wood floor cleaner and shower scrub courtesy of Bethany Gonzalez Moreno, eco lifestyle consultant and owner of the online shop becochic.com.