Turn your kid into a garden-guard using a few easy-to-find pieces from around the house.
- Old red sweater, coat, or sweatshirt
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- 1 square white felt
- Nontoxic glue
- Cotton balls
- Used cardboard
- X-Acto knife
- Aluminum foil
- Men’s red tie
- Men’s green short-sleeve shirt
- Leftover bubble wrap or pillows
- Brown leggings or pants
- Brown boots
- To make the hat, cut two steep 12-by-14-inch triangles out of a red sweater or sweatshirt.
- Sew the two longer sides together with a 1⁄2-inch seam.
- Cut the felt into a beard shape, and glue on cotton balls.
- Glue the two top sides of the beard to the bottom sides of the red hat.
- Glue two cotton balls onto the brim of the hat to form each eyebrow.
- Cut a small rectangle out of cardboard. Create a buckle shape by using an X-Acto knife to hollow out a smaller rectangle in the center. Cover the cardboard in aluminum foil and weave the buckle over the tie to create a belt.
- Stuff the shirt with bubble wrap or pillows, then hold in place with the belt, and secure at the back with a knot.
- Pair with leggings and boots.