Makes 4 servings
2 green plantains
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
Tostones are a delicious dish from Puerto Rico. Traditionally made by frying plantains twice in oil, this air-fryer recipe cuts down on the oil and calories for a healthier alternative. This version is also much easier to clean up. Make sure to use green plantains for this since more ripe ones will not hold their shape as nicely when smooshed.
1. Peel plantains and slice into 1-inch thick pieces. Place in a medium bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat.
2. Preheat the air fryer to 375ºF. Add plantains in a single layer and fry at 375º for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
3. Remove from the air fryer and smoosh each plantain down on a cutting board or plate using the bottom of a glass or bowl. They should be about ½ an inch thick when smooshed.
4. Spray air fryer with cooking spray, add smooshed plantains, and spray the top of the plains with cooking spray. You do not need to use a lot of spray, just enough to coast the air fryer and top of the plantains.
5. Air fry at 400ºF for 5–7 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. You may need to fry them in batches, depending on how big your air dryer is and how many pieces of plantains you have.
6. Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle with salt.
7. Enjoy alone or with delicious dips and sauces.