Makes 4 servings
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon ginger powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup Arborio rice
2 cups water
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
1 15-ounce can coconut milk
One of the biggest challenges when it comes to making risotto is the constant stirring. This recipe bypasses the need to hover over the stove and instead uses the oven. Curry-inspired spices bring a warming touch while coconut milk gives the risotto its creamy consistency without all the stirring.
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F.
2. In a 2 to 4-quart enameled cast-iron pot or dutch oven with a lid, add olive oil and onion. Sauté over medium heat until translucent and lightly browned. Add garlic and salt and mix to combine. Cook for an additional minute before adding the spices.
3. Let the spices cook for about a minute, or until fragrant, before adding the rice. Stir to coat rice completely with spices and oil.
4. Add water and pumpkin and stir to combine, making sure to break up any lumps of pumpkin. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
5. Put the lid on the pot, remove from the stove, and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes, remove the pot and stir well to bring the rice up from the bottom. Add coconut milk and stir well to combine. Put the covered pot back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and stir once again before serving.