Makes 5 servings
1 pound salmon fillet, skinned and deboned
2 carrots, washed and peeled
2 medium zucchini
3 Tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for parchment
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4 parchment paper sheets, approximately 11” x 17”
2 teaspoon parsley, chopped
The trick to this recipe is using parchment to seal in any moisture, preventing the salmon from drying out during the baking process. Lemon and garlic add a zip of flavor while the ribbons of vegetables add a slight crunch and freshness to the dish. Not only is salmon packed with omega-3s and protein, it’s also high in vitamin B12 and iron, making this a heart-healthy option for the whole family.
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Prep your fish and vegetables. Cut the salmon fillet into four pieces at a diagonal and set aside. Each should be about 4 ounces. Using a mandoline or peeler, create long ribbons of carrot and zucchini. These should be about ¼ inch thick and run the length of the vegetable.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.
4. Fold the sheets of parchment in half and cut the edges to make them round. Open the sheets and brush the insides with olive oil.
5. On each piece of parchment, layer the ribboned vegetables over each other in the middle of the right side of the parchment, about two inches in from the edge of the paper, making a small nest. Place the salmon fillet pieces on top of each nest of the vegetables. Drizzle the top of each piece of salmon with an equal amount of the olive oil and lemon juice mixture, making sure to cover the entire top of the salmon with some of the mixture.
6. Fold over the left side of the parchment paper and crimp the edges together carefully to seal each one. Place the packets on two rimmed baking sheets. Each sheet should have two packets of salmon.
7. Bake for 12 minutes until the parchment has puffed up and is beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, keeping each piece of fish in the packet it was baked in.
8. Slice lemons into thin half rounds and place two pieces on top of the salmon. Garnish with chopped parsley.