Makes 12 servings
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup skim milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1¹/³ cups unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch fine sea salt
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1. Heat the oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Beat together the sugar and bananas in a bowl until well blended. Mix in the eggs and milk. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a thick batter.
3. Spoon the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 5 ⁄ 8-inch plain tip, then pipe 48 circles on the prepared cookie sheets. (Alternatively, you can do this by spooning the mixture on with two teaspoons.)
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Leave the whoopee pies to cool on the baking sheets 5 minutes, then lift off the paper and transfer to a wire rack.
6. Meanwhile, put the marshmallows in a nonstick saucepan over low heat and warm until they melt.
7. Put 1 teaspoon melted marshmallow in the middle of each pie, then top with another and press down lightly. Serve warm or leave to cool.
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Fat: 1 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 4 g
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes