Makes 4 servings
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 pound lean ground beef or bison
1 cup thawed frozen chopped broccoli, squeezed of excess water
1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
20 ounces prepared pizza dough
Unbleached all-purpose flour, for dusting (if needed)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
A healthy meal made with veggies–not from the produce aisle! Frozen veggies, like broccoli, are picked at their peak of ripeness and processed quickly, which means you’ll still get the nutrients you’re looking for.
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set aside. You can skip the foil to avoid extra waste, but the calzones do ooze while cookings.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and salt, and cook until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute, then add ground beed. Break beef apart with a spatula; cook until beef is thoroughly browned, about 7 minutes. Spoon excess fat from the pan.
3. Add chopped broccoli and tomato sauce, and mix in with the meat. Cook until sauce is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat, and set aside.
4. Divide pizza dough into 4 pieces. Stretch and pat out each piece into 8-inch disks. If the dough sticks to the counter, dust with a little flour.
5. Place a quarter of the beef mixture on one half of the dough disk, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top the beef mixture with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, then fold the dough over it. Seal by pinching the dough along the borders together.
6. Place the calzones on the baking sheet; slit each calzone with a sharp knife to let steam escape. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until dough is golden brown. Serve.
Carbohydrates: 71 g
Fat: 11 g
Protein: 25 g
Fiber: 4 g
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes