1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, minced
½ teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
1 10-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
2 15-ounce cans black beans
2 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
½ cup sour cream, plus more for garnish
1 avocado, sliced for garnish
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
Black bean soup is a hearty and delicious dinner packed with protein, fiber, and plenty of flavor. To make this recipe vegan, simply skip the sour cream for an equally delicious dinner.
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and let it preheat. Once the oil has heated up, add red onion, jalapeño, and salt. Stir to coat with oil and combine. Cover and let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Once the onions and jalepeño have softened and are starting to brown, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. Stir to combine and let cook over medium until fragrant, about one minute.
3. Add tomatoes and stir to combine. Add black beans and vegetable broth and stir again, making sure to get the spices distributed. Add the bay leaf, cover, and let simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer you cook it, the more flavorful it will become so don’t skip letting it simmer!
4. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, making sure to break up any lumps.
5. Serve and garnish with your choice of avocado, cilantro, and lime.
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes