Makes 12 servings
1 SWEET POTATO, PEELED AND CUBED
1 CUP BROCCOLI FLORETS
1⁄2 CUP CHEDDAR CHEESE, SHREDDED
3 TABLESPOONS PANKO OR WHOLE WHEAT BREADCRUMBS, PLUS 1⁄2 CUP
1⁄2 TEASPOON SALT
1 LARGE EGG
1/8 TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER
1/8 TEASPOON ONION POWDER
1 TABLESPOON CANOLA OR VEGETABLE OIL
Struggling to get your child to eat more greens? Kids love almost anything if it’s on a stick or looks like a pancake! These patties offer a full serving of broccoli combined with two tried-and-true kid favorites: cheese and potatoes. Plus, these “broccoli pancakes” have a satisfying crunch from the whole wheat breadcrumbs and they’re great for dipping.
1. Place the potato cubes in a steamer pot over boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.
2. Add the broccoli to the pot and steam for an additional 2 minutes, or until fork tender. Once done, remove everything from the pot and let cool in a bowl.
3. In another large bowl, mash the potatoes. Then, chop the broccoli into bite-size pieces.
4. Add the broccoli, cheese, 3 tablespoons panko, salt, egg, garlic, and onion powder to the bowl with the potatoes and combine.
5. Place the remaining 1⁄2 cup panko in a separate bowl.
6. Using an ice cream scoop or 2-tablespoon measure, roll the broccoli and cheese mixture into balls, coat them in the panko, and shape each one into a small patty.
7. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat, place the patties in the skillet, and press down with a spatula to flatten a little.
8. Pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
9. Serve with plain yogurt and a squeeze of lemon or with your child’s favorite dipping sauce.
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Fat: 4 g
Protein: 3 g
Fiber: 1 g
Active Time: 15 Min
Total Time: 30 Min