2/3 cup Arrowhead Mills Organic Buckwheat Pancake mix
1 Tablespoon Arrowhead Mills Organic Golden Flaxseed
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoon Melt Organic spread, plus more for greasing pan
1/2 cup almond milk, water, milk, or soy milk
1 egg, beaten
2 squares of SunSpire Dark Chocolate Dream, chopped into small pieces
Fall Fruit Topping Ingredients:
¼ cup Blackberries (set aside until plating)
¼- ½ cup of water, apple juice, or applesauce (we used homemade pear sauce)
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Nielsen-Massey Pure Vanilla Extract
2 Tablespoon unsweetened coconut
1 square of SunSpire Dark Chocolate Dream
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight 1/2 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Vanilla Extract 1 - 2 teaspoons local raw honey, to taste
Whip up these pancakes for a special weekend breakfast! The recipe was created by Johnathan Mangum, age 10, and won first place in the 9 to 14 age bracket of KIWI’s 2014 Next Great Young Chef contest. (See Johnathan creating the recipe here.)
1. Place all pancake ingredients into a medium size bowl.
2. Stir until all ingredients are combined and no longer lumpy.
3. Heat pan or griddle, then grease with extra Melt spread.
4. Pour batter onto griddle and cook until golden brown.
5. For the fruit topping, chop apple and pear into ¼ to ½-inch pieces and place in small saucepan on the stove.
6. Add liquid (water, apple juice, or apple/pear sauce), nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla.
7. Cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is soft and syrupy.
8. Remove from heat until ready to use.
9. Place unsweetened coconut into a small dry frying pan on medium heat. Stir frequently until the coconut is browned. Remove and pour into a bowl.
10. Place one square of chocolate (broken into pieces) into a coffee grinder or spice grinder. Grind until consistency of powder. Remove and pour into a bowl.
11. To make the Coconut Whipped Cream, open bottom of can of coconut milk and pour off liquid.
12. Scoop separated coconut cream into large bowl and whip until it is the consistency of whipped cream.
13. Add vanilla and honey and whip until combined.
14. Then, to plate, place 2 to 3 pancakes on a plate.
15. Spoon apple/pear fruit topping onto pancakes.
16. Spoon 2 to 3 Tablespoons of whipped cream onto fruit.
17. Place 2 to 3 blackberries onto whipped cream.
18. Sprinkle on toasted coconut and chocolate powder.