Makes 12 servings
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 small red bell pepper, diced
3/4 cup kefir plus 1/4 cup water
Trying to get your kids on board with whole grains? Introduce them gradually to the more complex flavor of whole wheat with this savory muffin. Ask them to help prepare these gooey treats, and once they’ve fallen in love with them, they’ll be more willing to experiment with other flavors.
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly coat a standard 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick baking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine oil, kefir and water, and egg.
3. In a separate bowl, add the two types of flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold dry ingredients gently into the liquid, until dry ingredients are just moist. Be careful not to over mix. Batter will be thick.
4. Add honey, 1 3/4 cups cheese, and pepper, and fold in gently. Divide batter among the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
5. Bake until muffins are golden brown and spring back when touched, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Fat: 11 g
Protein: 7 g
Fiber: 1 g
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes