Makes 4 servings
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 1⁄2 tablespoons unrefined sea salt
1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
5 Kirby cucumbers, ends cut off, 1 whole and 4 sliced into spears
2 cups water
4 nitrate-free chicken-apple sausages
4 whole wheat hot dog buns
Making pickles is simple, but requires patience—plan on starting 3 to 4 days ahead. Be sure to clean your veggies well before using.
1. To make the pickles, place the garlic, dill, salt, and peppercorns into a clean, quart-size Mason jar.
2. Add the carrot and cucumber spears and cover with the water. Shake gently to mix. To keep the veggies submerged, cut the remaining cucumber in half crosswise, lay it on top of the vegetables, and cover the jar with the lid. Leave at room temperature.
3. After 3 to 4 days, open the jar. (Air bubbles at the top are normal, as is a bit of flm on the water’s surface, which can be skimmed off.) If the veggies have a strong odor, a slimy texture, or mold, discard. The cucumbers should taste like a half-sour pickle. Keep the jar in the fridge until ready to use.
4. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Prick sausages with a fork and grill, turning often, until cooked through and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Put buns on the grill and heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve sausages on the buns, accompanied by the carrot and cucumber pickles.
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Fat: 9 g
Protein: 24 g
Fiber: 6 g
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 4 days