Makes 4 servings
4 CHICKEN BREASTS (ABOUT 1 1⁄2 POUNDS), SKINLESS AND BONELESS
SALT FOR SEASONING, PLUS 1⁄2 TEASPOON
1 CUP BABY SPINACH LEAVES
1 CUP MOZZARELLA CHEESE, SHREDDED
1⁄4 CUP PARMESAN CHEESE, GRATED
2 LARGE EGGS
1 TABLESPOON WATER
1⁄2 CUP WHOLE WHEAT BREADCRUMBS
1⁄4 CUP FLOUR
1 TABLESPOON VEGETABLE OR CANOLA OIL
This meal is perfect for little hands to hold—and gets your child to eat her chicken (and spinach too!). Involve her in making the meal by letting her be in charge of layering the ingredients. Then, show her how to roll up the chicken into a wheel. She’ll have a great time helping and eating dinner sans utensils. If that’s what it takes to get her eating, isn’t it worth a little mess?
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Using a mallet, pound chicken breasts between 2 pieces of parchment paper until they are about 1⁄4-inch thick. Lightly season with salt.
3. Divide and layer the spinach, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese between the pounded chicken breasts. Roll up into cylinders and secure with toothpicks.
4. Whisk together the eggs and water in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flour, and additional 1⁄2 teaspoon salt.
5. Roll each chicken breast into the egg mixture, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
6. Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and sear chicken for 1 minute on all four sides of the roll.
7. Transfer to oven and bake for 16-18 minutes. Allow the chicken to sit for 5 minutes.
8. Slice into wheels and serve.
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Fat: 41 g
Protein: 38 g
Fiber: 3 g