Makes 24 servings
15 ounces dark chocolate, 70 percent cocoa solids
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 Tablespoons agave syrup
1 cup less 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/³ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2½ cups peeled and finely grated beets
3 Tablespoons sunflower oil
7 Tablespoons skim milk
1. Put the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and rest it over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
2. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate melts, then remove the bowl from the heat and leave the chocolate to cool.
3. Heat the oven to 325°F and line a 12-by-8-inch cake pan or baking dish with parchment paper. Put the eggs, vanilla extract, agave syrup, and sugar in a bowl and beat, using an electric mixer, until light and creamy.
4. Gently fold in the melted chocolate, then gently fold in the flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Finally, stir in the beets, oil, and milk.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing the surface a little.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until just set but still slightly soft in the middle.
7. Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Cut into 24 squares to serve.
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 2 g
Fiber: 2 g
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes