Makes 10 servings
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground ginger
15-ounce can pumpkin puree
½ cup coconut oil, plus more for greasing the loaf pan
This easy-to-prepare loaf cake has something for everyone—a little bit of pumpkin and a little bit of chocolate with a dash of spicy, rich gingerbread.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8½-by-4½-inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler on the stove-top or in the microwave at 50 percent power in 60-second intervals. Let cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices.
4. In a medium-size bowl whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, and coconut oil. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until the ingredients are just combined.
5. Transfer half of the batter to a medium-size bowl. Add the chocolate and stir until combined.
6. Dollop large spoonfuls of batter into the loaf pan, alternating between the chocolate batter and the plain pumpkin batter. Don’t worry about doing this in an even fashion. Once all the batter is in the pan, insert a table knife into the batter and make a zigzag across the pan and back again. This will help distribute the batters in a swirl pattern.
7. Bake the bread for 55-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
Carbohydrates: 53 g
Fat: 17 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 4 g
1 hour, 10 minutes