Makes 12 servings
1⁄2 cup (112 g) butter
4 oz (112 g) cream cheese
2 cups (224 g) blanched, finely ground almond flour
2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
1 cup (200 g) granular erythritol
1 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup (120 g) sour cream
4 large eggs
1⁄4 cup (20 g) unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
Natural food coloring, for confetti
Easy Frosting (page 149) or Whipped Cream (page 124), for serving
Recipe has been adapted with permission from Keto Kids by Sam Dillard.
This recipe is one of my personal favorites, and it took a lot of trial and error to get it just right. Birthdays are such a special time, and no one should have to feel left out because they’re choosing a healthier lifestyle. This cake is slightly sweet but also has a defined butter-and- vanilla taste. The texture is similar to a classic pound cake, and the 6-inch (15-cm) pan means the cake is a bit taller and narrower than a traditional cake. Feel free to add your favorite low-carb frosting.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare two 6-inch (15-cm) baking pans with nonstick spray.
2. Cut the butter and cream cheese into small chunks and place into a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, baking powder and granular erythritol. Slowly pour the melted butter mixture into the large bowl and mix.
4. Add the vanilla and sour cream to the bowl. Stir in the eggs until just combined. The batter will be pourable.
5. Among three small bowls, separate the shredded coconut. Place 1 to 3 drops of food coloring in each bowl and stir with a toothpick. Let it dry for 5 minutes, and then mix into a single bowl. Sprinkle the coconut over the cake batter and gently fold in.
6. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared baking pans. Place the pans into the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and mostly firm. A toothpick should come out mostly clean.
7. Let the cakes cool completely, for at least 2 hours, before removing them from the pans. They firm up as they cool, and moving too soon can cause them to fall apart.
8. Place the bottom cake on a cake stand and add a layer of frosting to the top of it, as evenly as possible. Carefully place the second cake on top and spread a layer of frosting on the very top. Slice and serve at room temperature with low-carb Easy Frosting or Whipped Cream.
9. Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days for maximum freshness.