1 CUP RAW CASHEWS
1 CUP WATER
3 TABLESPOONS LEMON JUICE
1 TABLESPOON OLIVE OIL
1 TABLESPOON WHITE VINEGAR
1 TABLESPOON YELLOW MISO PASTE
1 TEASPOON DIJON MUSTARD
1/4 TEASPOON SALT, PLUS MORE TO TASTE
1 CLOVE GARLIC
3 POUNDS SMALL RED POTATOES, HALVED
1/2 CUP FRESH DILL, CHOPPED
Traditional potato salad is made with mayonnaise (and lots of it), but this vegan version gets its creaminess from a cashew-based dressing. If your potatoes are large, you can cut them into quarters instead of halves.
This recipe is featured in KIWI’s cookbook, Allergy-Friendly Food for Families.
1. Place the cashews in a medium bowl with enough water to cover completely. Allow to soak 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then drain.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
3. In a blender, add the soaked cashews, water, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, miso paste, mustard, salt, and garlic. Blend until completely smooth.
4. Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook, 7 to 10 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain.
5. Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the cashew dressing and dill, and toss to combine. Season to taste. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, tossing once more just before serving.
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fat: 8 g
Protein: 7 g
Fiber: 3 g
3 hours mostly unattended