Makes 8 servings
1 Tablespoon canola oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound lean ground turkey breast or ground chicken
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 15-ounce can fat-free refried beans
1 15-ounce can all-natural enchilada sauce
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
3 cups coarsely crushed baked gluten-free corn tortilla chips, divided (about 8 ounces)
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
Enchilada-style casseroles are cheesy and gooey and oh-so rich. To lighten things up, we used ground turkey and reduced-fat cheddar cheese, and we created a fun, kid-friendly topping with crushed baked tortilla chips. For added nutrition, we mixed in two veggies: corn kernels and refried beans (look for brands made without added fats).
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
2. Add ground turkey or chicken and cook, breaking up large pieces, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
3. Add corn kernels, refried beans, enchilada sauce, and tomato sauce and stir until combined (use a whisk or a spoon to get all the ingredients nicely mixed). Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a simmer.
4. Spread 1 cup crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or dish. Pour the meat mixture over chips. Top evenly with grated cheese and the remaining cup of crushed chips.
5. Bake uncovered until cheese melts and the casserole is heated through, about 15 minutes.
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Fat: 13 g
Protein: 23 g
Fiber: 10 g
Total Time: 35 minutes