Makes 4 servings
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ cup vegetable stock
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 4-ounce can diced green chilis
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Tablespoon lime juice
3 diced green onions (for garnish)
The winter months are a great time to break out the crock pot and create warming and delicious soups and chilis. This gluten-free, vegan chili is packed with plant-based protein and spices, perfect for any cold night. This chili even gets better after an overnight stay in the fridge, making it an ideal leftover lunch option.
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and one teaspoon of salt. Let saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent and the peppers soften. Add minced garlic and mix in until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne. Stir into the vegetables for about 2 minutes, or until fragrant and starting to stick. Add vegetable stock and stir until all of the spices have come off the bottom of the pan and are well incorporated into the liquid. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. In a crock pot, add remaining salt, sauteed vegetables, tomatoes, chilis, beans, and lime juice. Mix well to combine, making sure that the spices are well mixed throughout the beans and tomatoes.
4. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours, stirring once halfway through.
5. Serve hot and top with green onions.